A new Hawker Hunter book has been published.

Här kan Du skriva flygrelaterade frågor och inlägg som behandlar både historia eller nutid.

Moderator: Sven-Erik Jönsson

A new Hawker Hunter book has been published.

Inläggav Erik Johansson » 23 sep 2008, 11:56

I suppose this is just the book for anyone who is a lover of the Hawker Hunter. It is written by Tim McLelland who, by the way, has also written a book about the Avro Vulcan. The Hunter book is published by Crecy Publishing Limited, Manchester, England.

I have got my copy through www.abebooks.com and I have also found it at www.amazone.com.

This is how the book is described:

New. First Edition. 384 pages, index, appendices, black & white photographs, diagrams, some colour profiles. As one of Britain's success stories of post-war aviation, much has been written about the Hunter. So when the author was asked to write this book he decided to pull in as much information as possible and thus produce a `complete history' and believe me, this is quite a tome. The print is as small as is practicable and that is complemented with a large number of illustrations. As you might expect Tim starts at the very beginning of the story with reference to other high-speed projects including the P.1067, which became the Hunter, We are taken through the teething troubles, and then the service histories of Marks 1 to 5 are described. In this particular chapter there is what must be a less publicised venture, the investigation into the properties of `area rule'. Hunter WT571 was modified for the experiment but was found that little could be gained from it, so it was abandoned. The Mark 6, the so-called `definitive' Hunter comes next, followed by the T.7, FR.10, PR.11 and GR.11. There are many more chapters, covering, amongst other things, civilian operators, various training units and later overseas operations - nothing seems to have been left out. And if you are a `number cruncher' then Appendix 2 should suit you. With its list of serial numbers and histories it will be unfortunate if you cannot find the aircraft you are looking for amongst this lot. If you are a model maker then it might be the images that you might find the most useful. As well as dozens of full shot-aircraft views I think you will find many of the close ups of interest. I particularly liked the cockpit shot of a Mk 4. For the really fastidious you can count the seat rivets and replicate them in you models. There are of course other useful pieces of information amongst the other close-up photographs, eg undercarriage, weapons etc. And, if you want to fly the thing from your armchair then the `Pilot's Notes' will help. Add to all this the 1/72 scale drawings and pages and pages of colour profiles and you have an automatic addition to you bookshelf. Highly recommended
Erik Johansson

Återgå till Svenskt Flyghistoriskt Forum - allmän del